Thursday, August 22, 2013

Desperate.

The devotional I read today was on the Samaritan woman that Jesus encountered at the well (John 4).  This woman had a bad reputation.  Everyone in town knew about her.  She'd sought out satisfaction in many men, but had never found fulfillment.  These words from the devotional today really stood out to me:

"We can't know Him as Savior until we recognize our desperate, sinful condition without Him."
[She Reads Truth]


I grew up in church.  I was a good kid.  I never really got in much trouble.  But my sin is no different than the sins of the Samaritan woman.

How often do we recognize our own desperate need for Jesus?  If I'd only sinned once, I would need Jesus.

Romans 6:23 says, "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The penalty for ONE sin is death.  One tiny little sin, in our minds.  And we have all sinned much more than that.  That first sin would send us to Hell for eternity.  But that's the beauty of the Gospel...when we find our satisfaction in Jesus & allow His grace to redeem our sins, we are washed clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment