Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Creation + Redemption

"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb." {Psalm 139:13}

The Hebrew word used there is qanah.  God originating + creating + redeeming His people.  Built into the definition even when God created us, was our r e d e m p t i o n.

"But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine.'" {Isaiah 43:1}

The whole idea of redemption was probably more easily understood to people at the time that verse was written.  They were well acquainted with the idea of a kinsman redeemer.  {Can you tell this concept has always intrigued me?}  The Hebrew word for redeemed used in Isaiah 43:1 is ga'al, to redeem by payment.  The Hebrew words for create/form already imply ownership.  We were His, & He still bought us.  When we made a mess of things, He made a way to bring us back to Him.

God is often compared to a potter, & us, the clay.  Pottery is messy.  You get your hands dirty.  Same with creation.  God was willing to get dirty.  He embraced the mess of creation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment